Tuesday 9 April 2013

Bag of Bones

After this last weekend I saw a lot of people that I haven't seen in a long time and of course we all change while others don't change. I'm not tall or short, I'm quite an average height and I weigh about 46kgs (you can convert my weight if you need to - I'm not worried haha) and I've weighed around 44 - 46kgs since I was 16 years old which was three years ago. I have quite a large size gap between my thighs and slightly boney knees and last year when I went to get my blood pressure tested, they had to use a child size blood pressure reading strap on my arm because my arm is too thin for an adult sized one - I'm not kidding you can ask my mom, I was mortified. I'm grateful that my hip bones and my ribs don't stick out though because I'd be at McDonalds everyday trying to full out my tummy so you see no bones!


I got told this weekend by two different people that I'm "just as skinny I was a couple years back" and to be honest comments like that really bug me. Are you trying to "compliment" me or are you being rude while trying to hide it as being sweet? People are so jealous of skinny people that you never know if their comments are genuine or fake. I really have been trying to gain weight to at least reach 50kgs and when a person comments on how thin I am still I feel like all my effort of trying to gain weight was such a waste. Anyways it got me thinking; why is it alright to call a thin person a "bag of bones" or a "bean pole" or whatever names people use when it is wrong for anyone to comment on an obese person? Where is the difference? Both are struggling with a weight issue and while some might not classify being skinny as a weight issue, for many it is. Why does common decency not exist when a thin girl walks into a shop and people are like "wow shes really thin"? What people don't realize is that thin people get teased and mocked about their weight just as much as obese people do. It might be pushed into a young girls head that being skinny is desirable because of all the models being thin and what have you but really, being thin is hard and beyond control for most. Our metabolism is just way too fast for us to even think about picking up weight and yes we can eat all we want and when we want without picking up weight but that is the only "plus side" to being thin.



Why do people think its alright to make comments about anyone's flaws? I don't go to my obese friends and say "wow you're just as fat as you were a couple years back!". I just find it unfair that people can comment on skinny girls but no one can say anything about an obese person incase they hurt their feelings. But what is so different between a thin girl being commented on and an obese girl being commented on? They both have weight issues. Through my experiences I just don't allow it to get to me; you can't afford to. Your opnion about yourself is more important than others. If you love yourself the way you are and look then nothing else matters. Be confident about yourself and people will see your confidence. If you aren't confident, people will take you down with an almighty stick and will try keep you there. The world can be evil but you have to rise above it. And remember don't worry about what boys think of you - there is a guy out there that will think you are beautiful and will tell you that everyday of your life and he'll make you forget about all your insecurities.

We need to treat ALL people equally and not base it on weight or any flaws. We're all equal and I hope this post did not offend anyone, it just really bugged me this weekend and I thought I should share what it's like to be a skinny girl and I personally think we all need to think about what we say to others before we say it. So lets say we don't make comments on anybody because of their weight or any imperfection they have because you don't want other people mocking your flaws either. Remember we all have flaws so don't go judge a person on that alone when they have perfection else where to offer.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from every one of you so please feel free to share your thoughts below! x